Why Choose Australia

Australia has so much more to offer than just that! Many international students are choosing to study in Australia because of its friendly, laid-back nature, excellent education system, and high standard of living.

Over 22,000 courses and 1,100 institutions Australia is the 3rd most popular international student destination in the world with 8 out of 100 top universities in the world are Australian.

Top Reason to Study in Australia

  • Global Recognition
  • Cost of Living
  • Diversity of Education
  • Technology
  • Work Opportunities

Australian Education System

Australia offers a diverse range of study options for international students, with more than 1,200 institutions and over 22,000 courses to choose from. You can study at all levels of education from primary and secondary school, to vocational education and training (VET), from English language courses to higher education (including universities). And regardless of what you are studying or how long you are studying for, Australia’s laws promote quality education and protection for international students.

As an international student on a student visa, you must study with an institution and in a course that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the institution at which you study meet the high standards expected by international students. You can search for courses and institutions here on the Study in Australia website.

Main University Qualifications

Undergraduate Courses


Degree Title Duration
Bachelor Degree(General) 3 years full-time study
Bachelor Degree (Professional) 4 years full-time study
Bachelor Degree + Honours 3-4 years full-time + 1 additional year’s successful completion allows entry to a research Masters or Doctorate

Postgraduate Courses


Degree Title Duration
Masters – Extended 3-4 years full-time study
Masters by Coursework 1-2 years full-time study
Masters by Research 1-2 years full-time study
Doctoral Degree 3-5 years full-time study
Doctoral Degree (Professional) 3-5 years full-time study

Average Australian University Fees

The costs of studying in Australia depend on the institution and the level of study you choose.

As an international student, your tuition fees are payable before you study. You can use the Course Search on this website to find courses and see details such as their tuition fees. There may be additional costs for your course, including course materials and access to institution facilities. The list below gives you an indication of the range of course costs for different types of qualifications.

  • School – $7,800 to $30,000
  • English language studies – Around $300 per week depending on course length
  • Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) – $4,000 to $22,000
  • Undergraduate Bachelor Degree – $15,000 to $33,000*
  • Postgraduate Masters Degree – $20,000 to $37,000*
  • Doctoral Degree – $14,000 to $37,000*

Living costs in Australia

Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. For your reference, here are some of the costs associated with living and studying in Australia. (All costs are in Australian dollars.)



  • Hostels and Guesthouses – $80 to $135 per week
  • Shared Rental – $70 to $250 per week
  • On campus – $80 to $250 per week
  • Homestay – $110 to $270 per week
  • Rental – $100 to $400 per week
  • Boarding schools – $10,000 to $20,000 a year

Minimum Cost of Living


The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa. Below is a guide on the requirements you must meet to study in Australia:

  • You – $18,610
  • Your partner – $6,515
  • Your first child – $3,720
  • Every other child – $2,790

Other living Expenses


  • Groceries and eating out – $80 to $200 per week
  • Gas, electricity – $60 to $100 per week
  • Phone and Internet – $20 to $50 per week
  • Public transport – $10 to $50 per week
  • Car (after purchase) – $150 to $250 per week
  • Entertainment – $50 to $100 per week

Working in Australia as an international student

Working while you study in Australia can help complement your study and living experience. There are a number of reasons you might want to undertake part time work while studying in Australia, including assisting with living expenses and gaining work experience in your study area.

Most student visas allow you to work for up to 40 hours every two weeks while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break, but before you undertake any paid work you need to make sure your visa allows you to work. Find out more at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection(opens in a new window)

Paid Work


Australia has a wide range of industries and many have part time employment opportunities, including:

  • Retail – supermarkets, department and clothing stores.
  • Hospitality – cafes, bars and restaurants.
  • Tourism – hotels and motels.
  • Agricultural – farming and fruit-picking.
  • Sales and telemarketing.
  • Administration or Clerical roles.
  • Tutoring.



Paid or unpaid internships can be a great way to get exposure to the professional, financial and creative industries. Learn more about getting an internship on the Internships page in the Education System section of this website.



There are many charities and non-government organisations (NGOs) in Australia and they always need volunteers to help out. It can be a great way to meet friends, get some hands on work experience and give back to the community. To find out more about volunteering, start your search at: http://www.govolunteer.com.au

Your Rights


Everyone working in Australia, including international students or those on working holiday visas, have basic rights at work. These rights protect entitlement to:

  • A minimum wage.
  • Challenge of unfair dismissal from the job
  • Breaks and rest periods.
  • A healthy and safe work environment.

Most employers in Australia are covered by an ‘award’, which sets minimum wages and conditions for a given field of work or industry. To find out more about your work rights visit the Australian Government’s Fair Work(opens in a new window) website.

You will also need to get a tax file number to work in Australia. Visit the Australian Taxation Office(opens in a new window) website to find out more information on getting a tax file number, as well as information about paying taxes in Australia.

Finding Work


There are plenty of ways to find work that suits you, including:

  • Newspapers and online job sites.
  • Some institutions provide job notice-boards on campus and online. Contact your institution’s international student support staff to find out what options your institution offers.
  • Register your details at a recruitment firm; many of them help place people in casual or short-term work.

University Intakes in Australia

Learn more about intake dates, application deadlines, student visas and English language requirements before applying to an Australian University or College.

  • Main intake in February each year with a second intake in July (some providers also have an October intake too)
  • Application deadline for February intake is Nov/Dec – earlier for more competitive courses

Scorp Education provides free, independent, expert service for students willing to study in Austalia. We offer advice and counselling to help you choose the right course, at the right university, and are then responsible for guiding you through the entire application process, from making an application to accepting an offer of place. We also provide free assistance with practicalities including student accommodation and student visas.


Application Process


Once you’ve decided on a course and an institution, it’s time to apply for admission. The first step is to apply for the course you want. There are two ways to apply:

  •  Direct to the education provider

To apply direct, download the application form from the education provider’s website.If you are applying for courses at more than one institution, you will need to submit a separate application to each institution.

  • Through an education agent

Scorp Education is working with most of the institutions . For further details please book your free consultation and Scorp endeavour to provide the answer of every question.


General Entry Requirements for Undergraduate Study


To apply for an undergraduate course at the University level in Austalia, you need to meet certain requirements – these are known as the minimum eligibility criteria. Basically you need to:

  • Have an acceptable senior secondary qualification from your high school (or completed at least one full-time year in a bachelor degree or equivalent qualification at a recognised tertiary institution)
  • Have achieved certain grades in your senior secondary studies or accepted tertiary studies
  • Meet the English language requirements
  • Meet any special entry requirements such as health or security checks or submission of a portfolio
  • Have the Assumed Knowledge for your course. While there are no prerequisites for our courses, we do expect you to know or have studied subjects relevant to your course before you begin your course.


General Entry Requirements for Postgraduate Study


  • Demonstrate you have an undergraduate or postgraduate degree, certificate and/or relevant work experience
  • Satisfy any other program-specific requirements


Proof of English Proficiency


  • IELTS Academic English Overall Band 6.5
  • P-TOEFL (Paper Bases) Overall Score 570
  • I-TOEFL (Internet Based) Overall Score 83
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic) Overall Score 64

How to Get an Australian Student Visa


In order to study in Australia, you will need to obtain an Australian student visa. You must be able to prove to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) that you meet the following key Australian student visa requirements: Genuine Student Requirement, Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement, financial requirements, English proficiency requirements, and health and character requirements. You’ll need to complete an Australian student visa application form, pay the visa application fee, and perhaps attend an interview. Read on for more detail on what all of this involves.


Student Visa Categories


In Australia there are various different types of student visas available depending on the course level, duration and other factors. Below are some of the popular ones.


Independent ELICOS Visa – Subclass 570


This visa type is specifically designed for students intending to study ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)


School Visa – Subclass 570


The school visa-subclass 571 is for education in primary, junior secondary or senior secondary school with an approved exchange programme.


Vocational Education and Training (VET) – Subclass 572


This visa is appropriate for students intending to study for Certificates level, I, II, III and IV, diplomas and advance diplomas.


Higher Education Visa – Subclass 573


This visa is appropriate if you are looking to studying for a Bachelor degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Associate Degree.


Postgraduate Research – Subclass 574


The post graduate subclass is for studies in Masters degrees and PhDs


Non – Award – Subclass 575


The non-award visa class covers bridging or foundation courses which does not involve a qualification or award of any kind.


Streamlined Visa Processing Higher Education Sector Visa (Subclass 573)


Streamlined visa processing is designed for international students applying to study in Australia at a participating university or non-university higher education provider. You may be eligible for streamlined visa processing if your main course of study is an Advanced Diploma (Higher Education), Bachelor degree or a Masters by coursework.


About this Visa


Streamlined visa processing for this visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia at a participating university.

Streamlined visa processing means these applicants are treated as though they are lower migration risk (similar to the current Assessment Level 1) regardless of their country of origin.

See: Eligible Education Provider and Educational Business Partners


How the Visa Works


Before you apply for this visa, you must have applied for and been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia. You must provide evidence of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) at the time that you lodge your application.

See: Eligible Education Provider and Educational Business Partners




This information is about the requirements that you and your dependent family members must meet for streamlined visa processing for a student visa.





Eligible Courses for Streamline Visa Process


The following higher education sector courses are eligible for streamlined visa processing:

  • Higher Education Advanced Diploma
  • Bachelor degrees
  • Master degrees by coursework.

The following higher education sector courses are not eligible for streamlined visa processing:

  • Higher Education Diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Associate Degree.


Maintenance Funds/ Proof of Finances


Students who fall into assessment level 1 will simply need to attest that they have enough money, while students at all other levels are required to prove that they have at least enough money to cover the first year of their stay. At present this is deemed to be

  • A$18,610 (in addition to tuition fees mentioned on offer letter and return Air Fare)

Accommodation fees paid to your institution in advance can be deducted from the total. If you are receiving full funding you simply need to provide proof of this.

Evidence of Sufficient Funds to cover tuition, travel and living costs. The Assessment Level of the student determines the level of funds required, who can provide these funds and how long the funds must be held. If you have dependents (such as a spouse and children), you will also need to show evidence of being able to cover living costs for them, regardless of whether they intend to travel to Australia or not.


Travel, Tuition and Living Expenses


The table below outlines the amounts in Australian dollars (AUD) that you need access to. These amounts are the minimum required for this visa. They do not necessarily represent the cost of living in Australia.


The department must be satisfied that an applicant, once in Australia, will have genuine access to the funds they claim to possess to cover the travel, tuition and living costs for themselves and their family members.

You must have enough money to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, your partner and your dependent children for the duration of your stay in Australia.


You must:

  • Show Proof that you can meet these financial requirements for the first 12 months of your stay in Australia.
  • Note: If you have completed 75 percent of your course and are applying for a subsequent student visa, you do not need to show your savings history.
  • Declare on your application that you can meet these financial requirements for the remainder of your stay in Australia.


Evidence of Maintenance Funds


The money to support you and your family members must come from one or more acceptable sources, which may include:

  • A money deposit with a financial institution held by you, or an eligible family member, for at least three consecutive months immediately before the date of your visa application
  • A loan from a financial institution made to you or an eligible family member
  • A loan from your government
  • Your proposed education provider
  • The Australian Government or an Australian State or Territory government
  • The government of a foreign country
  • A provincial or state government of a foreign country that has the written support of the national government of the foreign country
  • An organisation gazetted by the Minister
  • An acceptable non-profit organisation
  • A multilateral agency.


Note: An eligible family member includes:

  • the applicant
  • the applicant’s partner
  • the applicant’s parents
  • the applicant’s grandparents
  • the applicant’s brothers or sisters
  • an uncle or aunt of the applicant who is:
    • an Australian citizen, and Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen and
    • usually resident in Australia.


English Language Skills for Student Visa


The table below outlines the English language skills you require and the evidence you must provide to be granted your first student visa or a subsequent student visa.


IELTS Requirement


You must provide test results of one of the following:

a) International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Certificate IELTS test score of:

  • 6.0 or above for direct entry into a course; or
  • 5.5 to do a foundation course (but no ELICOS) to be taken before your main course; or
  • 5.0 with an ELICOS course to be taken before your main course. You can study a preliminary English course for up to 30 weeks.

Note: You can take the Academic or General IELTS test to meet English Language requirements for a student visa. However, please check with your Australian education provider about which test they require for your enrolment.




Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) Certificate

TOEFL iBT score of:

  • 60 or above for direct entry into a course; or
  • 46 to do a foundation course (but no ELICOS) to be taken before your main course; or
  • 35 with an ELICOS course to be taken before your main course. You can study a preliminary English course for up to 30 weeks.

c) Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic Certificate

PTE Academic score of:

  • 50 or above for direct entry into a course; or
  • 42 to do a foundation course (but no ELICOS) to be taken before your main course; or
  • 36 with an ELICOS course to be taken before your main course. You can study a preliminary English course for up to 30 weeks.


Cambridge English


Advanced (CAE) Certificate CAE test score of:

  • 52 or above for direct entry into a course; or47 to do a foundation course (but no ELICOS) to be taken before your main course; or
  • 41 with an ELICOS course to be taken before your main course. You can study a preliminary English course for up to 30 weeks.


Occupational English Test (OET) Certificate


  • OET score of ‘pass


Further Requirements


Health Requirements


You must meet certain Health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application.

You are able to Organise your Health examinations upfront before lodging your visa application. You should not undertake your health examination more than six months before your course starts.


Health Insurance


You must have health insurance while in Australia. Health insurance can be provided by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.

You can ask your education provider to organise OSHC for you, or you can select an approved OSHC provider yourself and pay the insurance.

OSHC is available for a period of up to five years. If your course exceeds five years in length, then OSHC providers may issue cover for a longer period.

Proof of insurance: When you lodge your application, you must provide a receipt or other proof of your OSHC payment. The OSHC should commence when you arrive in Australia.


Criminal Record Checks


You will also need to show that you don’t have a substantial criminal record, and your past and present conduct must not suggest you will engage in criminal activity or incite discord in Australia. You may need to acquire penal clearance or get a police statement for this purpose. You will also need to declare fidelity to Australian values by signing an Australian Values Statement.

See: Character and penal clearance requirements


Australian Values Statement


All visa applicants aged 18 years or over, must declare that they will respect Australian values and obey the laws of Australia. For applicants of this visa, the values statement is included in the general declaration section of the application form. By signing the form applicants will also be signing the Australian values statement. Applicants for this visa will not be required to have read the Life in Australia book, but may do so if they want.


Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Test


In order to determine whether you are both a genuine student and a GTE, you may be asked to attend an interview at your nearest Australian embassy or consulate. Some applicants will only need to fill in a visa application form.

  • The circumstances in your home country
  • The potential circumstances for you in Australia
  • The value of your chosen course to your future
  • Your immigration history
  • Any other relevant matters


Students under 18 Years


Parental Permission


If you are under 18 years of age, your parents and/or anyone who can legally decide where you can live must give permission for you to study in Australia.

If any of these people cannot sign your student visa application on your behalf, they must sign one of the following:


Accommodation and Welfare Arrangements


Accommodation and welfare arrangements


If you are under 18 years of age, you must have acceptable arrangements for your accommodation, support and general welfare for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18 (whichever happens first).

You must show that you will either:

  • live in Australia with your parent or legal custodian
  • live in Australia with a relative over 21 years of age who is nominated by your parent or legal custodian
  • live in Australia under a welfare arrangement that has been approved by your education provider.


Welfare Provided by a Parent or Legal Custodian


If your parent or legal custodian will be providing welfare for you during your stay in Australia this should be indicated on your application form.

You can arrange to bring a parent or legal custodian to Australia as your carer on a Student Guardian visa.

See: Bringing family


Welfare Provided by a Relative


If a relative will be providing welfare for you during your stay in Australia your parents and/or legal custodians will need to give their permission for this arrangement on your application form and your relative must be nominated.

See: Form 157N – Nomination of a Student Guardian (171KB PDF)

Your nominated relative must be one of the following:

  • brother or sister
  • stepbrother or stepsister
  • step-parent
  • grandparent
  • step-grandparent
  • aunt or uncle
  • step-aunt or step-uncle
  • niece or nephew
  • step-niece or step-nephew
  • spouse.

They must also:

  • be aged over 21 years of age
  • be eligible to remain in Australia until your visa expires or you turn 18 (whichever happens first)
  • be of good character.


Australian Student Visa Documents


The DIAC website has a document checklist feature that will provide you with a list of documents required for your specific type of student visa. You simply need to select the type of visa you are requesting, and either indicate that you are eligible to apply for streamlined visa processing or select your appropriate Assessment Level. Then select ‘View Checklist’ to open a PDF document with all the necessary documents you need to provide. Typically, students must submit the following:

  • Completed Australia student visa application form (157A)
  • Paid visa application fee
  • Copy of passport biodata page (some students may be asked to physically provide their passport)
  • Certificate of Enrolment or Letter of Offer
  • Evidence of sufficient funds
  • Evidence of health insurance cover
  • English proficiency test results
  • Criminal record check results


Visa Fees and Charges


The cost of visas changes from time to time. The cost of your visa is dependant on the date we received your application. If there is a price increase between the date you lodge your application and the date we receive your application, you will need to pay the new application charge. To calculate the price of your visa visit DIBP website.


Visa Processing Times


Visa processing times will vary depending on your Assessment Level and the type of visa you are applying for. Allow up to four weeks, with online applications usually being considerably quicker. Your student visa will last for the duration of your studies, including holiday periods, and will also allow you some time to remain in Australia at the end of your course, in order to prepare for departure. Under some circumstances, it may be possible to apply for a further visa at the end of your course (consult the DIAC website for more details).


Arrival & Student Visa Obligations


You can arrive in Australia on your student visa up to 90 days before your course starts. Within seven days of arrival, you must inform your education provider of your resident address.

While in possession of a student visa, you have certain obligations to fulfil: you must remain enrolled in a CRICOS-registered course, attend classes regularly, make satisfactory course progress and maintain OSHC health insurance. There are also certain visa conditions you and your dependents must comply with; breaching a visa condition may result in the cancellation of your visa.

Live and study in Australia


Australia has some of the top cities in the world for university study and for students to live in. They offer the combination of excellent universities and high living standards.

Australian cities and towns attract close to 300,000 international students each year. Nearly one in three university students are from abroad, including from China, India, Korea, Vietnam and Malaysia. They add a global flavour to university life in Australia.

It is interesting to compare Australian cities as places for university study. While there are many similarities, each city has its own qualities. For students coming to study abroad, knowing about the different cities can be useful. It helps to choose a university city and make the most of what the place has to offer.

Meet us Today

If you are interested in learning more, arrange your free consultation.